Brooklyn-Crystal Cemetery Association Since 1863
In the early days of the Civil War, the pioneers living north of Minneapolis, in the Brooklyn and Crystal Lake Townships (area that includes Brooklyn Center, Crystal and Robbinsdale), felt the need to provide a final resting place for their loved ones. On November 20, 1863, a group of citizens of Brooklyn and Crystal Lake Townships met to consider the formation of a cemetery association. Plans were finalized on December 4, 1863. The initial tract of land where the cemetery is now located was purchased from Thomas P. Hill for $30.00. On September 1, 1896, an additional tract was purchased from Adolph Hartkopf, which provided the present-day property size. The history of the cemetery and the memory of those who now rest there is a gift to anyone interested in the early days of the area.